The fifth race in the inaugural season of the RUNColumbus Race Series is the 2FGR Run for Down Syndrome. To be held on May 19 at 7 p.m., this race features a 10K and 5K option and supports the Down Syndrome Association of Central Ohio.

Tim Mills is a co-founder of the race and currently serves as the race director. Tim and his wife Peg, have three adult children (Jamie, Drew, and Corey), and three grandchildren (Trent, Addison, and Beckett).

  • How did you become a race director?  When forming the race 13 years ago my background ​in project management and my passion for giving back to the community allowed me to naturally emerge as a leader from among the original group of four people that set out to organize this race for charity.
  • What’s the greatest challenge you face in your role?  This is a volunteer activity. ​As such, we have maintained responsibility for fund raising, logistics, race day organization and marketing.  Recruiting volunteers and maintaining continued support from the race planning committee has been my greatest race planning challenge.  I’m fortunate to work with a dedicated, community focused group of people that have a passion for our event. We’ve recently begun to outsource our race planning logistics and marketing but have maintained oversight and all decision making.  Our committee members are all unpaid (and we are proud of that!) and lead busy lives with work, family, and other responsibilities.  It is very difficult to stay connected so we meet regularly throughout the year to stay ahead of the planning and decision making steps.
  • What’s the greatest reward?  Providing a large check to the Down Syndrome Association of Central Ohio (DSACO) after the race and seeing the smiles on the faces of children and families and races at our event.  It is truly festive and everyone has a wonderful time.  Also, we see many people throughout Dublin and even other parts of Central Ohio wearing our race shirts, including the vintage shirts. 
  • Other than signing up for your race, how can runners support and encourage race organizers?  Spread the word.  This race had nearly 1,000 in 2019 before the pandemic.  We offer ​a great race packet, bounce houses and game for the kids, a flat-fast course for races, and a lot of music and post-race food.  We get amazing reviews from those that attend!  And, approximately 70 percent of each dollar goes to DSACO (the other 30 percent covers normal races expenses including a great shirt and excellent finishers medals).

Make sure to follow 2FGR Run for Down Syndrome on Facebook and Instagram.

Scroll to Top
Attention Race Directors! Scheduling for the 2023 series is underway.
This is default text for notification bar